Tuesday, September 13, 2016

This Week's Football Threads and Kicks



It's a pretty well-known fact by now that football and style go together like the Philadelphia Eagles and disappointment. The fashion presence in postgame press conferences from the likes of Cam Newton, Von Miller, Tom Brady, etc. is always over analyzed for something that doesn't impact on-field performance. But as we've learned from Deion Prime Time Sanders is that what you're wearing on the field essentially influences your entire quality of life.And with plenty of on-field fashion related news this week, let's talk threads and kicks.


The LSU football Twitter account shared the alternate uniforms the No. 20 Tigers will wear as they host Mississippi State on Saturday Night. I have to admit, these things are unreal. LSU wears their white jerseys for the home opener and home games against SEC opponents, which I don't particularly like, so we rarely ever see them wearing any other color. These threads would be a lot cooler if LSU didn't start the season off by getting upset, and it would be more fitting to pump the players up for either the Alabama or Ole Miss home game, but I guess this is a good way to gain some momentum moving forward. Although their classic yellow helmets are a fantastic look, I absolutely love these white helmets. Also, helmets that feature players' numbers on the side is a look that I will stand by 100% of the time (looking at you Alabama).
My favorite part of these alternates is the vintage "Sailor Mike" cartoon on the collar. This logo absolutely dominates the current Tiger that is featured on their helmet. I think the white pants with the simple purple "L" is a fresh look without pushing any boundaries. Overall, I'd give these alternates a score of 8.5/10. They're stellar, but giving out a perfect score needs to be rare.

Speaking of alternate jerseys, the NFL's ridiculous "Color Rush" line was released for all 32 teams.
I'll start off by saying, I absolutely despise the Color Rush movement. It's truly infuriating. I think they look hideous for the most part. My disdain is mainly derived from the Color Rush's existence being a promotional effort for Thursday Night Football, which we can all agree is consistently the worst football game of the week. I mean, come on. You can't tell me that the Seahawks' alternate looks good;
These things are absolutely disgusting. kfadshjiHy4987sdx. Sorry about that, I hit a few keys when cleaning the puke off of my keyboard, which ironically looked like a combination of all these uniforms. A few more of the worst ones:



Yellow/gold jerseys can look great, as we saw above with LSU. But yellow/gold jerseys with matching pants aren't easy on the eyes.

I will say that the teams who will be rocking all black or all white are good in my book. Blacked out uniforms have always been and will always be the most intimidating look on the football field. For the teams rocking the white jersey/pants combo, I think it's a clean look. But I think I mainly like that because it defeats the whole purpose of the Color Rush movement, so I'm automatically all for it.
My personal interests regarding the Color Rush uniforms obviously focused on the Patriots' version the most, which I think look solid. Just solid. I don't love them, but I don't hate them. I do like how they incorporated the shoulder stripes from the Pat the Patriot days, but that look without one of the best vintage logos of all time just isn't quite the same. The major flaw I find in this setup is that their standard uniforms just look better. I've always felt that the point of alternate uniforms is to look better than usual. You don't rent a tuxedo to appear less slick than your every day look.

One final thought on the Color Rush uniforms: the NFL really screwed themselves with the idiotic "one helmet per team rule." A lot of these uniforms would look a lot better if they featured alternate helmets, especially if the Patriots could rock the white lids with Pat the Patriot. Also the Saint's white Color Rush would look phenomenal with a white helmet/gold logo.Wake up Goodell!

Enough chatter about swag from the knees up, let's "kick back" and talk about cleats. In the NFL's opening weekend, we saw a few Adidas-sponsored players making noise on social media by wearing Yeezy cleats.
A photo posted by Von Miller (@vonmiller) on



I will admit that I've always thought the Yeezys were an overrated sneaker. I mean, would people really praise their odd nature if they weren't created by Kanye? Well, I guess you could say the same for a lot of his music. It's just the way this world works: when Kanye is involved in the production, there will undoubtedly be an aura of creativity.

The low cut Yeezy cleats look pretty damn awesome, I'd feel like a million bucks running around in those things. However the high tops look a little too much like boots, or maybe a poor man's version of the Under Armour Cam Newton cleats.

I don't know if RGIII received a pair, but I feel like Kanye is a smarter business man than that. Talk about bad PR. Whether he received free Yeezy's or not, it's going to be awhile until Griffin can wear them on the field. Also, how hilarious would it be to see Aaron Rodgers run out of the tunnel at Lambeau with those high top Yeezys? I can't imagine a more ridiculous visual.



Now that Jordan has officially entered the football industry with its new deal with Michigan football, maybe the Yeezys will jump over the Jumpman on the gridiron. If I played on a team that just switched from Adidas (Michigan, Notre Dame, Wisconsin, Tennessee) I couldn't help but be a bit jealous of these new Yeezy cleats.

So that's this week's edition of football threads and kicks. Disagree with any of this? Want to praise me for all of this? Either way, let's Tweet about it: @CalebBlackmur

No comments:

Post a Comment