Saturday, September 10, 2016

I, Jake Levin, want the New York Yankees to make the playoffs

Certainly not at the expense of the Red Sox, and I do not want them to win the World Series.

However.

I think back to the 2001 Seattle Mariners, who won 116 games after Alex Rodriguez left as a free agent.

I think back to the 2004 Texas Rangers, who improved from 71 wins to 89 without Alex Rodriguez.

And then I look to the 2016 New York Yankees, who are 16-9 since Aug. 12. The date they forced A-Rod to retire released A-Rod. That's a tidy .640 winning percentage, since I'm a math guy and all. Tied with Kansas City for the best winning percentage in the AL during said time frame other than...the Red Sox.

I get he's 42, but the comedic value of yet another team catching fire after ditching A-Rod is tantalizing, to say the least. I'll even throw in the Red Sox winning the World Series in '04 after not trading for A-Rod.

All of this to say, I'd keep an eye on the 2018 Miami Marlins. Because we know what's happening next spring.



PS if you had told me in September 2015 that Rick Porcello would be a 20-game winner and possibly the Cy Young favorite in the American League, I would've said "yeah ok, and Donald Trump is going to be the Republican nominee for president."

Life comes at you fast.

No comments:

Post a Comment