Friday, August 5, 2016

Will Frank Ocean's Boys Don't Cry Live Up to the Hype

When thinking of renown Rap/R&B/Pop artists of the 21st century, the fantastic four of Drake, Rihanna, Kanye West, and Frank Ocean summit the list. In my opinion, Drake and Kanye are penciled in for this list for the next few years as well. Let's be honest Kayne is a total f*** boy. He is a pompous prick, but isn't that what they say about genius's? The great Seneca once said, "There is no great genius without a touch of madness." I personally am not a fan of Kanye as a person, but well done on Life of Pablo, sir. I would also like to throw this in, does anyone else think Kanye's life with Kim is all a marketing ploy for his own personal endeavors? His clothing line consists of items torn off the back of homeless persons, yet it is still blossoming? Genius... Despite their irrefutable talent, Drake and Kayne fans have horse blinders on and even if a song is absolute garbage, it will always be "gold". That being said, I have been aboard the Drake bandwagon since Take Care, and my boy Jimmy (wheelchair boy Drake from Degrassi) can do no wrong. I am a huge fan of Views from the 6, but as of late, and by late I mean the past few years, the singles that Drake comes out with and also EP's that he features on are WAYYYY more bump'n than his album's. Take "Jumpman" for example, which was a song off of the EP, What a Time To Be Alive. This project had 3 or 4 bangers that are playlist premiums for #saturdaysarefortheboys. Weaning off of Drake and Kayne, we are led to the more badass queen of Pop, Rihanna (no disrespect to 'yoncĂ©). This comes without question that Rihanna is so fine, which gives her music that much more of a boost. ANTI was a more trippy/erotic album, almost bringing a vibe from the oldies band, The Doors. Great work by Rihanna. Also, can't wait to see more memes of Drake getting roasted for how soft he is seen dancing with such a badass smoke like Rihanna. Classic. 

This brings me to the most important part of the post, the elusive Pop phantom, Frank Ocean. I use phantom for a specific reason because Frank literally vanished off the face of the Earth after receiving a Grammy for Best Urban Contemporary album in 2013 for Channel Orange. Now, Apple Music has announced that Frank's new album, Boys Don't Cry, will be released today, August 5th. I actually was a sucker and was convinced Frank would release his album on time. Stayed up till midnight and was left with my dick in my hand. Should've known that the phantom of Pop would punk me, as well as millions of people. If this album actually does come out today, or sometime within the next week, I anticipate it being a totally different feel than Channel Orange. One because it has been too many years to build on what he created with Orange and two because I feel like Frank remolded himself as an artist. For the sake of music, I hope to god he didn't go all hippy and turn into the modern Kid Cudi, but I would like to see a little more upbeat Frank Ocean. More of a car driving banging album would be my hope, but we will have to see what the magic man has in store for us. 

No comments:

Post a Comment