Monday, August 1, 2016

College Football: Maryland and Rutgers look to make their "rivalry" official

 So I saw this Tweet the other day from ESPN's College Football account and Dear Lord was I taken back. Doing a double take would be an understatement. I'm not talkin' a double take, a triple take, or even a quadruple take. I'm talkin' a minimum eight (octuple?) take. Seriously, I could not think of a more lame matchup that would be considered a rivalry. But at the end of the day, fine. Let them call each other rivals as they are the biggest outcasts in the Big 10. The fact that those two teams are in that conference still doesn't sit easy with me. That conference is full of so many legendary programs that still play traditional, hard-nosed football. Amidst all of the crazy, and sometimes ridiculous, uniform innovations, the Big 10 has stuck with its roots. Then Maryland and Rutgers show up, throwing off the entire vibe of the conference, and further disrupt the flow of things by trying to get a rivalry trophy?? Embarrassing. If there were to be a trophy, it'd better be smaller than the participation trophies that my 0-8 youth football team received circa 2001. This trophy would be more pathetic than the Colts' AFC Finalist banner, and thats saying something.
So everyone clear your schedules for Saturday, November 26th as the Maryland Terps (3-9 last season) battle their "bitter rivals" the Scarlet Knights of Rutgers (4-8 last season)! If that doesn't hype you up for college football season, I have no clue what possibly could.

While we're on the topic of conferences that bust my chops a bit, I can't stand when the geographic aspect of a conference's name inaccurately portray the teams in the conference. I'm fully aware that this is a ridiculous nitpick to have but come on, University of Missouri in the Southeastern Conference? Texas A&M being in the Southeast is a bit of a stretch too. And don't even get me started on the new Big East. The Big East is no longer the Big East. I have no idea why they kept the original name, partially because it's just straight up not the same conference anymore. No UConn, no Syracuse, no Louisville, no Cincy...not the Big East. But more importantly, how can a conference call itself the Big East when it has Marquette (Milwaukee, WI), Butler (Indianapolis, IN), DePaul (Chicago, IL), and Creighton (Omaha, NE). Just call it something along the lines of the Catholic Conference and ease my unnecessary stress a bit. Rant over. Sorry if I seem annoyed, just can't wait any longer for this Rutgers vs. Maryland game.

Look at those packed stands! WOOO! Big Ten football at its finest!



No comments:

Post a Comment