Tuesday, August 21, 2018

Thoughts on the AP Top 25


The preseason AP Top 25, as we’ve learned in past years, is obviously not set in stone. Teams that are in this list of rankings could end up having historically bad seasons, while teams not listed could end up running the table. For now, it’s mostly a mystery. But what these rankings do accomplish is a baseline for expectations; a bar has been set for teams to fulfill, exceed, or fall short of their potential. And for now, until the season kicks off, expectations and potential are all we have.

1. Alabama (42)
2. Clemson (18)
3. Georgia
4. Wisconsin (1)
5. Ohio State
6. Washington
7. Oklahoma
8. Miami
9. Auburn
10. Penn State
11. Michigan State
12. Notre Dame
13. Stanford
14. Michigan
15. USC
16. TCU
17. West Virginia
18. Mississippi State
19. Florida State
20. Virginia Tech
21. UCF
22. Boise State
23. Texas
24. Oregon
25. LSU

I don’t know if there’s anyone who’s been paying attention that is surprised by this top three. Alabama renewed their lease at the top spot for the third straight year, while Clemson and Georgia are the only two programs that can be mentioned in the same tier as the Tide (for now, at least).

The No. 4 spot going to Wisconsin may be relatively shocking to some, although most should have expected them to be somewhere in the top seven or eight. If Ohio State and Washington were ahead of the Badgers I would have went on and written this without batting an eye. But now with the Badgers at No. 4, my official playoff prediction from a few weeks ago is identical to the AP top four, which has completely and absolutely diminished all confidence in my prediction. I felt pretty good about it but now I know there’s just no way it can work out like that. But here’s to hoping I’m right.
Also, I absolutely loved to see that the Badgers got one first-place vote from an AP member. Alabama and Clemson were the only other teams to receive first place votes, rightfully so. As I stated, I do think Wisconsin is really good and could run the table. But picturing some guy from the Associated Press in the midst of cheffing up some beer brats with his sixth Spotted Cow in hand, remembering that deadline at the last minute and just throwing in that vote as Wisconsin being better than Alabama, now that’s hysterical.
The remainder of the top-ten seemed pretty standard, I don’t think anything was unanticipated for the most part. The top ten does highlight the fact that we get to see an amazing matchup between Washington and Auburn on opening weekend, with the Huskies being ranked No. 6 and the Tigers being ranked No. 9. Not that the AP ranking changes how talented the teams were before the top 25 came out, but it certainly alters how outsiders will view the game (in the best way possible, in this case).

I personally would’ve thought West Virginia would have a better ranking than No. 17, as I firmly believe they’ll have one of the most explosive offenses in the entire country. The Mountaineers and No. 16 TCU being so far behind Oklahoma doesn’t seem right, as I think both squads will give the Sooners a serious run for their money in the Big 12.

A few teams in there seemed overrated in my opinion; I know Notre Dame has a wildly experienced roster this season, but I just simply can’t trust Brandon Wimbush. A shaky quarterback combined with a schedule like Notre Dame’s is a recipe for disaster. Penn State is undoubtedly a top 25 team but seeing them at the No. 10 spot seemed a bit high. USC doesn’t seem like the No. 15 team in the country to me, but I guess you could make an argument that they recruit and develop enough talent to compete. Their roster boasts a substantial amount of experience but I’m a little unsure of their offense. Florida State at No. 19 seems sketchy to me, especially being their first year under a new coach. But once again, the raw talent of some guys on that roster can carry them substantially, and the No. 19 spot of a top 25 is nothing to become outraged about.

As I had mentioned before, the true impact of the AP top 25 is how it affects the fan’s perspective of each matchup. And now that the rankings are released, we now know we’ll be seeing four ranked matchups on opening weekend: Washington (6) vs. Auburn (9), Notre Dame (12) vs. Michigan (14), Florida State (19) vs. Virginia Tech (20), and Miami (8) vs. LSU (25). Prettaaay, pretty good if you ask me. Get ready to rock because it’s right around the corner.

1 comment: